Brand New 2011 with Quail Eggs

Recipe: Quail Egg Roast

What is it about the beginning of a year that makes people rethink how they've been living and thereby cause them to resolve to change? How come no other month or day of the year evokes such mass resolutions for betterment?

My new year resolution is to exercise and lose weight :). This is similar to my new year resolution for last year and the year before that :P (Oh well!) Being an enthusiastic foodie doesn't help with this resolution. And making healthy food choices all the time is tough so I have upped my daily exercise time from 30 min to 40 min. Exercise is extremely important for a food blogger because not eating is not an option for us. So folks wish me success :)

I was walking down the streets today morning wondering what to cook for lunch. The holiday season had left us tired of all the fancy foods and craving for some simple yet delicious home-fare. That's when I came across Quail Eggs! (woo hoo!) I had never seen quail eggs here in Bangalore. I had eaten these subtle flavoured eggs long back at our hometown in Kerala when MIL had got them for us and boiled them for breakfast one morning. The moment I tried it, I knew these eggs had immense possiblities! No eggy-smell, very nutritious (they are better than chicken eggs), a light flavour. MIL soon educated me on the medicinal uses of these eggs and on how good they are for health. And I was sold. Quail eggs are truly nature's gift to an egg loving world!





Quail eggs have a beautiful shell. In fact I would love to wear it as a pendant if that were possible. (Interesting business proposition with these marbled beauties, don't you think - Quail egg jewellery!) These eggs are tiny as well - just about 1/5th the size of a large chicken egg.





I wanted to do justice to its subtle flavour and hence I had decided on no garam-masala or any other overpowering spices. It resulted in this delicious and simple Quail Egg Roast for which we scraped the cooking pot till the last morsel.






This recipe goes well for Chicken Eggs and Duck Eggs as well. So in case you can't get Quail Eggs in your area, feel free to substitute with any other type of Egg (5 Quail Eggs = 1 Large Chicken Egg or Duck Egg)

QUAIL EGG ROAST


Ingredients:
Quail Eggs - 15
Onions - 4 Medium ones
Ginger - crushed - 1/2 tsp
Garlic crushed - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsps
Pepper powder - 1 and 1/2 - 2 tsps (Makes the dish more than moderately hot. Do adjust as per taste)
Curry leaves - 10 nos
Boiling water - 2-3 Tbsp
Coconut Oil / ghee - 2-3 Tbsp
Salt to taste

Method:
Place the Quail Eggs in a pan with water (at room temperature) such that the water level is above the eggs. Place the pan on medium heat and cover with a lid. After 10 minutes, switch off flame and pour off the boiling water in the pan. Refill the pan with cold tap water and let the eggs cool in it.

Once eggs have cooled, remove their shell.

Slice the onions finely.Heat the oil in a pan or wok and add the sliced onions. Fry the onions till wilted or translucent. Don't let them brown

Lower the flame and add the crushed ginger and garlic and fry till the raw smell goes away. Add the curry leaves and fry for a few more seconds.

Add the Coriander powder and Pepper Powder to it and roast on a low flame till the raw smell of the coriander powder is no longer present.

Add a couple - 3 Tbsp of boiling water. Mix well, adjust the salt and switch off flame. Put the boiled and de-shelled eggs to this and your dish is ready to enjoy :)







This dish makes a fantastic appetiser as well as a great side-dish with rice, bread, appam, iddiappam or chapathi. You could also try it with toast for a satisfying breakfast. How about give your diet a healthy turn and eat this wrapped in a lettuce leaf? It perfectly included in the LCHF or slow carb diet.





A spoonful of nutritious delight for the brand new year :)
Wish you all a wonderful year ahead!

This is definitely one of the best things I have eaten in recent days - nutrition-wise as well as flavour-ful :) Hence I am sending it to More Than Burnt Toast for Best Thing I ever Ate







I'm also sending this to Smitha's Spicy flavours for the Best food I have eaten of blogged about.







Comments

  1. Awesome.
    Btw, are you sure you are not endangering the Quail bird by posting such mouth watering recipes!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I sure hope not. Wanted to give the poor chickens a break..

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks lip smacking :). where did you get the quail eggs in Bangalore? I have been looking for them since a while

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kaa: Thanks for the kind words. I got the eggs from Sabari vegetable shop in Kammanahalli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Please let me know how you feel about the post.

Behind the Scenes

All the dishes posted in this blog have been cooked by me. Some of the recipes are mine and some of them adapted / borrowed in which case, the link to the original source is provided.

I am also the photographer and the author behind this blog.

If you would like to borrow any of my recipes or photographs, please do let me know and link back to the original post on this blog.

Popular Posts