Red Meat with Red Chillies

Recipe: Beef Roasted with Red Chilli Flakes

Even though red meat has been getting a lot of bad publicity these days, I just cannot stop eating it completely. I need to get my dose of red meat at least once in 2-3 months. Besides, red meat is rich in iron. Eating it in moderation should be fine.

So here's what I made :)

 

Actually I made it sometime back and got time to write the post only last weekend.
Sometime back, I came upon this really interesting recipe from Lekshmi Nair posted on Jisha's blog. Jisha's immense talent for food photography always drew me to her blog. The moment I had seen her pictures for this dish, it started off an instant craving in me and I just had to make it.



The only changes I made to the recipe was to add a little coriander powder and a little cumin. Adding coriander and cumin to meat dishes is like second nature to me. So even though the original recipe didn't have it, I just couldn't stop myself from adding it.

I omitted the coconut slices since I'm not a fan of biting into coconut when I enjoy my meat :)




BEEF ROASTED WITH  RED CHILLI FLAKES
Adapted from here

Beef - 1 kg (cut into bite-sized pieces)
Onions - 3 medium sized - chopped finely
Green chillies - 1-2 sliced (depending on preference)
Coconut Oil - 5-6 Tbsp (Can be substituted with ghee or other natural oils like sesame, mustard, olive. But I highly recommend the flavour of coconut oil for this recipe)
Curry leaves - 10 nos

Grind the below spices to a fine powder:
Cumin - 1 tsp
Fennel - 1 tsp
Cardamom - 4
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Pepper - 1/2 tsp

Marinade for the Beef:
Ground spice mix as listed above
Red Chilli flakes - 3-4 Tbsp (depending on personal preferences)
Garlic paste - 3 tsp
Ginger paste - 3 tsp
Vinegar - 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients listed under the Marinade. check for salt.

Marinate the beef for 30 min to an hour.

Pressure cook the beef along with the marinade till well done. And then open the cooker and place on a medium flame to let any excess liquid evaporate.

Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan or a wok. Add the sliced onions and green chillies and saute till the onions have wilted though not changed colour.

Add the beef along with the masala into the frying pan. And keep roasting the beef on medium-low flame stirring only occasionally. A non-stick frying pan is best for this. It took me about 30 minutes of roasting to get the dish nice and roasted and fragrant. Add the curry leaves and roast for another minute or two.



This wonderfully aromatic beef roast goes well with rice, pathiri, porota, chapati, idiappam, even with a nice creamy cole-slaw or fresh veggie salads.

Comments

  1. The representation of this article is actually superb. I think this is a genuinely beneficial and instructive article for everyone, I appreciate this kind of writing, Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.ARABIC BREAD LIVERPOOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Please let me know how you feel about the post.

Behind the Scenes

All the dishes posted in this blog have been cooked by me. Some of the recipes are mine and some of them adapted / borrowed in which case, the link to the original source is provided.

I am also the photographer and the author behind this blog.

If you would like to borrow any of my recipes or photographs, please do let me know and link back to the original post on this blog.

Popular Posts